Dear Noah - New Big Brother


Dear Noah,

Well, well...I'm not sure where to begin, my wee boy. This has been quite the experience these last two weeks. And I wish I had more positive things to say, but damn child, you are not taking the adjustment period to your new brother very well. Now don't get me wrong, everyone says your behaviour is completely normal - typical in fact, but it is in no way pleasant for anyone.

I myself am at a loss of what to do. Your Dad on the other hand - bless him - has the patience of a Saint for your constant whining, tantrums, outright disobedience, and general unpleasant behaviour.

On more than one occasion I've had to remind myself that you are only 2, you don't have the vocabulary to tell us you're probably scared that your little brother is going to take your mommy and daddy away; that we'll love him more and you less...and that you might just be generally pissed that you have to share the spotlight with someone else. But above all, I have to remind myself not to take your lashing out as a personal attack on me, my parenting and the decision we made to bring a new person into our family.

Aside from this major bump in our and your world, you've been a very sweet and caring brother when you've wanted to be. I understand that as of now, your brother is pretty boring - he doesn't do much, or interact with you other than looking at you. But on your own, I've seen you go over and kiss him on the head or rub his fuzzy hair or even just look at him and it warms me to know that there's some sort of a relationship starting there; one that I hope in time will grow.

Even though by the time you'll read this, you'll likely be a man, and all this will be behind us, I still want you to know, what I've always told you over and over - that you're Mommy and Daddy's favourite Noah of all. No one will ever, in a million years replace you - we love you just the same as we did before your brother came along - maybe even MORE because now we have double the love to go around.

You were the first one, the one that MADE me a Mommy, taught me to love unconditionally and that's pretty darn special - just like you are to us.

Love you to the moon and back.

Love,

Mommy

xooxxo

0 comments:

Post a Comment